[rsbac] Re: New Live-CD

Amon Ott ao at rsbac.org
Fri Mar 5 17:52:08 CET 2004

On Freitag, 5. März 2004 17:00, Andrea Pasquinucci wrote:
> Concerning the Live-CD, I have just finished using it at a university
> course (actually the course was within a "Master in Computer Security"),
> and I think that it could be very nice if it would be improved a bit, at
> least for these purposes.
>
> For example, it could be nice if it would start with a minimum bare
> setup, nothing running, only logging-in as secoff and root allowed. Then
> there could be (in secoff home) some scripts (like the current
> "restore") which insert rules to allow some programs to run etc, even
> reversible in the sense that the script can have a start/stop option to
> insert/remove the rules.
>
> Actually I did exactly this for my course, I wrote a 10 lines script
> which removed some rules => apache would not work anymore, and then
> added them by hand to show the students how it worked. It was not very
> practical because I had to load the script from my disquette and then
> ditribute it to the students etc.etc.

Good to know you could make practical use of it, although some things were
not yet optimal.

> I think that a Live-CD like that would be very useful to those who
> would like to learn how to use RSBAC. What do you think?

Looks like a plan. I am very busy with Cebit preparations, both for company
and RSBAC, so I will not be able to do much in this area now. After Cebit,
we should try to get this improvement done.

For students and teaching, you can also try Bencsath Boldizsar's Sniffix CD
from the RSBAC link page, see http://db.dc.hu/~boldi/sniffix.txt

Amon.